Back when I first joined Pinterest in ohhhh, 2011 (I think), one of the first projects I completed was redoing our spice organization. I thought it was such a clever and fun way to make your kitchen a little more Martha Stewart-y…yes she is an adjective as well 😉 In this post I show you how I went from something I thought was going to be fun and wonderful (but took forever to create) to something that looks a million times better and took only a fraction of the time!
To start let me show you what my old spice jar project looked like…
|Click on picture for more description on my Pinterest post.|
I collected a ton of baby food jars (which wasn’t too hard since I was doing this with a 8 month old in tow), cleaned them out, scrubbed all the wrappers and glue off, painted the lids with chalkboard paint (with a sponge brush because I couldn’t find chalkboard spray paint then), and then filled the jars with spices and labeled with chalk.
I’m going to tell you, while I was SUPER excited when I first completed this project…it’s not smart for the following reasons:
- You have to meticulously make sure to keep the jar and lid together to keep them matched up.
- Even when you do make sure to keep the right jar with the right lid, they still don’t EVER seal all the way properly
- Every time you open the lid, you wipe some of the chalk away
- THIS TOOK ME WEEKS TO COMPLETE!
- After 3 years of having this system, I’ve had to toss so many spices and dried herbs because they have gone bad from not being sealed properly.
|Click picture to purchase a set of 6 for 5.94 on worldmarket.com!|
|via The Social Dollar|
|via First Home Love Life|
|via Snippets of Design|
|via Martha Stewart|
|FREE labels via Fab N Free|